Saturday, May 10, 2008

Big brag

Okay, so if you don't want to read my brag then nows the time to close this page.

So here goes:

Not only did I get my grades for this semester: Straight A's in all 5 classes! But I also was recognized as the central states AYUSA staff member of the week! How cool is that! It helps that I love school and love my job placing foreign exchange students with families.

So now I'm done bragging.

As the spring starts I have so much going on. Eline's mom will be here on the 20th, with Eline's graduation on the 21st. I start summer classes on the 14th. I really need to think about starting the planning for our wedding. Mike gave away his UGLY couch and love seat. So now I don't have to pretend it's okay in the front living room, and then get rid of it in a few years! We are off to Wendover to see a concert and have a night away from all the kids that are always here. Maybe I'll win tons of money while we are there, you never know!

I ran 4 miles today and the weather was beautiful, as is my new route. I love living in this neighborhood as it is just rural enough to have lots of roads with little traffic and friendly people who wave and say hello.

I am hoping to get some work done in my scrapbooking room today, before we leave. No actual scrapbooking, just arranging so I can eventually scrapbook again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever visited the web page of the Committee for Safety of Foreign Exchange Students? Please do: www.csfes.org and go to Reports of Abuse or News. Still happy to be a part of "that" organization?

Mary said...

I did check out this web site. Although there are a few articles which list AYUSA most of the situations are not something any program can prevent, such as teachers abusing children, or host parents with no previous criminal history and glowing recommendations who take advantage of their students. I personally speak to every student at least once a month to see how they are doing. I cannot respond to any situation I do not know about. Our students are given training about sexual abuse and any other type of problem when they arrive in the US. They also have my contact information and can call me 24/7 if they have a problem.

AYUSA will NOT allow any student to come to my region without a host family and a school slot available. When I can't get a written school slot approved my manager tells me to inform the host family that we are unable to place a student with them for the upcoming school year.

Unfortunately most of the abuse of exchange students is the very same type of abuse that goes on behind closed doors in many "traditional" American families, with no way for me or anyone else to predict. I know there are some exchange students who have bad experiences, but I also know that by far, the majority of students have a great experience and most of my current students have mixed emotions about leaving America and returning to their home countries. So, yes, I am still happy to be a part of AYUSA. Mary

sara :) said...

Congratulations, Mary! Hope you win lots of money on your getaway!

:)