Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back from PA


We had a wonderful time in Pennsylvania! It is so beautiful and green there with trees everywhere. We got in to the Pittsburgh airport around 11:00 and drove to Mike's aunt and uncle's house. His Mapquest directions took us through some very rural areas and we eventually resorted to using the navigator on my phone.

On Friday we headed to Altoona, PA to see some friends of Mike's (and now friends to Chelsea and me as well). We went to have hot wings at Al's tavern. Yummy. We had so much fun with Joe and Terri and their daughter Brianna.


On Saturday we headed back to Indiana (the town, not the state!) and went to Pete and Dianne's 50th Anniversary. Mike had fun seeing his cousins, aunts and uncles and other relatives. They were all really nice but Chelsea and I didn't know anyone so it was a little boring for us.

We all took a nap later on Saturday and then just hung out with Uncle Bob and Aunt Laura. They are a lot of fun and just great people. Aunt Laura introduced Chelsea and me to Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry floats. Sounds bad, but it was actually pretty good.





On Sunday we headed to Pittsburgh and saw some sights. First we had lunch at Jerome Pettis' Grill. I didn't know who that was but Mike informed me it was some famous Pittsburgh sports person. The food was good and actually reasonably priced.



We headed over to Heinz Field where the Steelers play.







Then we walked along the river to the Carnegie Science Center. We saw lots of cool science things as well as a submarine they had on exhibit. That was fun but it was really geared towards kids below the age of 12.

We headed towards the airport but stopped at the IKEA furniture store to pick up some shelf brackets for Chelsea's room. We had purchased some about a month ago at the store in Draper, UT but needed two more. This saved us a drive down to Draper for just this.

We had plenty of time at the airport so Chelsea decided to look for a pin. She started collecting pins when we went to Europe in 2000. It's an easy and inexpensive way to remember where she's been. She also decided she was going to be a Steeler's fan. She said it was a good Father's Day gift for Mike. :) Of course that meant that she needed to get a Steelers T-shirt. After buying her and Mike more junk we waited for the plane. We had an uneventful trip home and got to our house around midnight. Both Mike and Chelsea had to get up early. Luckily I didn't have to get up for any particular reason.

When I did laundry yesterday I didn't realize that my Garmin Forerunner was in the pile of clothes so it got washed too. Lucky for me I'd seen my friend Carol's blog while the laundry was washing and found out that Costco had the Garmin 301's on sale. So I ordered one and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. In the meantime I ran today. After about 3 weeks of running sporadically and at low altitudes it was painfully obvious to me that I may very well come in last at the 5K I'm running with my friend Laura on July 4th. No matter, at least I'll be running!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Your GPS MIGHT have survived the washing. They're supposed to be able to handle a little bit of water (if I recall it's 1 meter deep). If you dry it out real good you might give it a try. But, the soap might be another issue. Anyway, I got my new GPS yesterday so I know you'll enjoy yours!

salgal said...

Sorry about washing your garmin, hopefully it will dry out.
Sounds like you had a good trip.
My kids want to come for a visit one day...when you're home that is. We are going to be putting our house up for sale next week.