Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finally, an update

As some of you may know I have been rather busy lately and have been unable or unwilling to update my blog. But here goes:

About 3 weeks ago my nieces, Amanda and Jennifer came to visit. We had a great time going to Salt Lake City and hanging around in Ogden. This picture was taken at Rainbow Gardens which is a fun gift shop with a decent restaurant.

Not long after they left my mom called and said my dad was in the hospital with stomach problems and not to worry. Later that evening my sister called and told me the doctors thought Dad had cancer. So I decided I'd better head home to N. Idaho to get the real scoop and be there for my parents. We got the results on the 10th. Definitely lung cancer and most likely stomach cancer. After visiting several doctors we still are unsure about the stomach cancer because the biopsy showed only normal cells but the surgeon feels certain it is cancer based on the results of the CT scan. To be sure, Dad is having a PET scan later this week. That will also tell us if the cancer has spread to other areas.

The doctors say this cancer cannot be cured but can be treated. Dad will start chemotherapy after all the test results are back. In the meantime he has planed a boat trip on the Snake River with his sons, sons-in-law, brother and grandson for the end of this month.

I came home yesterday. I was so happy to see Chelsea, Mike and Scruffy. But my homecoming is short lived because we are leaving tomorrow to go to Indiana, PA for his aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary. We scheduled this before we found out about Dad so we are still going. It should be fun and I've never met any of Mike's relatives, besides Harli (she recently changed the spelling of her name, cute, huh?).

I will, however, be very glad to be home, hopefully for a while. Chelsea and I will be going back to Idaho for my younger brother's 25th anniversary in July and then I will be going back in August for my high school 30 year reunion. And in between all of that I start graduate school. Whew! I thought the summer was supposed to be relaxing. One highlight, though, will be on July 20th, when Eline comes from the Netherlands to visit for 5 weeks. We all miss that girl and really look forward to seeing her again.

Well that's all for now. I'm off to run errands so we'll be ready for our trip tomorrow.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, Mary! I'll be sure to keep him, and the rest of your family, in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hugs to you!

cjknick said...

Mary, my thoughts are with you during this troubling time with your dad's recent diagnosis. I hope the chemo goes well and he finds himself in remission!

Carol said...

You and your family continue to be in our prayers. Have safe travel and a good vacation. What part of Indiana?

Sandi D said...

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear this about your Dad...dad's are special people! I'll be praying for him (and you)...chemo's rough, but it can be done! xoxox

Sandi D said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Mary! Dad's are so special. I'll be praying for you all.

(This says Mini Bean, which is my daughter...I don't know why! Its me, Sandi!)