Monday, July 19, 2010

Bryce Canyon

We went to Bryce Canyon with some friends and had a great time.  We got there Friday and just set up camp and relaxed.  On Saturday our friends, Bob, Carol and Jessica ran the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon. Bob won first place in his age group.  While they were running we went for a short walk at the south end of the park.  It was an easy 30 minute walk that gave us some nice views.
Here we are standing a little close to the edge~  Chelsea, Mike, me, Harley, Micah and Marcia.

Harley and Chelsea enjoying the view.

Later we went for ice cream and decided the girls needed a little discipline so we locked them up.  It's not too tough being in jail when you have good ice cream to eat!

Later Chelsea and I went for a hike into the canyon with Bob, Carol and Jessica.  Yes, the same people who ran 13.1 miles in the morning were up for a hike in the late afternoon.  Mike and Harley were exhausted from the 1 mile walk so they stayed in the camp.  They really missed out on some amazing scenery.  It was about a 3 mile hike and was relatively easy.


Here we are, taking a short break.  Carol, Bob, Chelsea, me and Jessica.

The girls spent the evening enjoying the giant marshmallows and making smores.
And this is Mike's idea of a good time, sitting by the fire,drinking Crown Royal, and spending time with friends.  Sadly I didn't have any red wine so I had to resort to drinking beer.  I was tired so went to bed early. According to the girls I missed out on a good party!  But I sure felt better than some of the other adults the next morning!

We went on the park bus tour on Sunday morning and then broke camp and headed home.  About half way home I noticed Marcia's trailer brake lights weren't working anymore.  Her wire bundle which hooks up the lights and brakes to her truck wasn't secured and so it dragged on the ground, which resulted in the wires becoming severed.  In the end we made it home with no incidents, although we were some very tired and in Mike and Chelsea's case, smelly people.  Harley and I took a shower in Marcia's trailer but Mike and Chelsea waited until we got home.

Now I am working on making plans for our trip to Glacier the first week of August.  I have been there before but no one else has.  We are staying at a really nice cabin at a KOA so won't be camping.  I am hoping we will do a lot of hiking but Harley doesn't like to hike so we'll see.  I am definitely going to Iceburg Lake which is a 4.1 mile hike (each way) but did pick out several easy, much shorter hikes to do as well.  And our KOA has a pool and hot tub so there will be plenty of relaxing also.

My sister, Karin, and niece, Samantha, will be joining us and so will Bob and Carol.  Karin and Sam will stay in our cabin with us and Bob and Carol will be staying in the park in their trailer.  It should be a fun trip.

No comments: