Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Church

I am very disappointed in my church. I have been a member since 1994. My daughter was confirmed there, I was on the council for 4 years, with the last as president, I was married there. I have had two surgeries in the past 3 weeks. I didn't get so much as a card from my church. No calls from the pastor (until the other day, and only because a friend called the church office and mentioned it), no offers of meals, nothing. I have to say that my feelings are hurt. I am on the card ministry team and I delivered meals for two years to a family, as well as occasional meals to other families. With Mike out of town it might have been nice to get a meal. But it is too late for that. No one should have to ask their church for help, it should be offered, especially when there are specific ministries just for that purpose. Perhaps my outspoken request for a youth pastor and more contemporary music has alienated me from the church leadership. Chelsea has chosen to attend another church because of the our church's lack of youth ministry and very old, traditional music. Heck, "Shout to the Lord" is about the most contemporary song our church uses and it was written 16 years ago! I don't know what I am going to do. I had committed myself to continue with this church in hopes that the new pastor would change things up a bit. But I guess the message I got the last several weeks was that my church doesn't really care if I go. Other than my duties as worship assistant team leader I probably could just quit and only two families would notice. I know it sounds like I'm having a pity party, and I probably am. I am thankful to Bob and Carol, Laura and Michelle who would care about me no matter where I worshiped. If I leave those would be the people I'd miss. We'll see.

3 comments:

The Fullers said...

It is very hurtful and disappointing to be let down by your church. I hope they can redeem themselves in your case. However, I understand your desire and/or need to find a place to worship that includes people who really know how to care for their members.

salgal said...

I feel guilty now for not bringing you dinner too and brought just a cake. Sorry you are dissatisfied with your church. You can always come with me if you want ;)

Carol said...

It isn't you. As a church we have always fallen short in this area. Judy S. also had surgery and no one did anything for her either. I'm sorry because I should have brought you over a TV dinner (since you know I don't cook). We are full of apathy. Yes, I would miss you if you left so I hope you don't. I don't blame you for feeling this way. As a matter of fact, after all the meals you did for you-know-who I would be very bitter. Maybe more than bitter. Your feelings are very valid. I'm sorry.