Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life on one leg

I have never had so much sympathy for handicapped people as I have had since I became temporarily handicapped. I've discovered that handicapped parking spaces aren't necessarily better than others because the snow/ice isn't always as clear. Lots of snow and ice come from the sidewalks and from melting off the roofs and HC parking is usually the nearest to the building. Also, many exterior doors are very heavy and hard to open when you are on crutches. Just getting around the house is a pain. I have a friend with spina bifida and she has been on crutches her whole life and somehow she manages to get a drink from one room to another without spilling the whole thing!

I went to see my doctor yesterday about my old bones. He took some blood to check my calcium and Vitamin D levels, ordered a bone density test and talked to me about a medication that actually helps restore bone mass. Unfortunately it only comes in the form of daily shots. :( I am hoping the bone density test comes out good but an eyewitness is probably better. I am scared now about breaking another bone, especially being on crutches in the winter.

I went with Chelsea to an oral surgery appt. She has had ear pain for several months now. The ENT couldn't find anything wrong with her ears so thought it might be a jaw problem. She had an MRI and everything looked good. The oral surgeon pointed out that her top wisdom teeth were coming in and could be pushing on her jaw bone. So she is having all of her wisdom teeth removed at the end of the month.

Chelsea spent the weekend at a Christian youth gathering at Estes Park, Colorado. She just loved it and now plans on attending church at The Genesis Project, which is a very contempory church. I told her I would attend with her a couple times each month. I really just wish our church offered any type of activity for teenagers.
]
Tomorrow I am going to spend the day working on homework. I've fallen a little behind but I know if I concentrate I can catch up in a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you coming back to school monday?

The handicapped spots are RIDICULOUS. At the church where I take my clients every sunday any time it snows they end up pushing all the snow into the handicapped spots- all four on one side were covered in piles of snow last week and there's my clients that need it, two people with family in wheelchairs and MANY elderly people. Ew I get so mad!

Also, you start to notice places that are not up to code at all.. we went to El Matador with all my clients one friday night and the bathroom is not wheelchair accessible! One lady had to hobble in on a newly broken hip cos she couldn't hold it and my client w/ CP had to hold it and luckily made it home.