Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Update

Mike got offered an awesome job in Tucson. It is an exciting job involving traveling all over the world and the pay is quite a bit more than he makes now. Of course, the downside is that Chelsea will be a senior next year and I start graduate school this summer so moving for us girls is really not an option. I told Mike that if he really thought moving to Tucson was what he wanted to do I'd support him and do everything I could to make our marriage work. After consulting with a friend I told him why I didn't think it was the best idea for us, but the decision was his. He decided to turn down the job and is pursuing some other options locally. I saw the job description and I know this is a dream job for him. I told him that once my education is done and Chelsea goes to college I will be willing to move so he can pursue his dream. I am really not excited about Tucson, because it is sooooo hot, but he is sacrificing for me now so I owe him. And who knows what can happen between now and then.

And now for the exciting, and painful news. I decided to go running today and ended up slipping on a small patch of black ice. The toe of my shoe hit the dry pavement and that stopped my fall, for a second. Then my foot bent all the way back until I heard a sickening snap. Unfortunately I was alone and there was no one else in sight. I sat on the wet ground crying and yelling for someone to help me. I waited for what seemed like10 minutes. I was getting ready to use my cell phone and call 911 when another runner came by. I was only a block from home so he helped me up and I tried to hop on one foot but the pain was unbearable so he sat me back down. He was going to run a half mile to his house and get his car. Luckily a woman came by and drove me home and Mike came and took me to the hospital. Oh my gosh, the pain was horrible! They gave me two pain shots within an hour. I broke three bones in my left ankle. Just like me to be an overachiever, as Mike said! So here I lay, at the hospital waiting for surgery tomorrow. No running for 6 months. I can't do anything for a week, then I'll get a cast. Then a few weeks later a walking cast. And I get a handicapped parking sign. Not so great but at least it will help me get around easier. And thank goodness for my new netbook computer. It's what I'm using now and I love it! Well, I am going to watch Grey's Anatomy on my computer then try to get some sleep. Keep me in your prayers!

3 comments:

sara :) said...

Mary, I'm so sorry about your ankle. I can't even imagine the pain! I hope everything heals quickly.

Jenn said...

Mary, I'm hoping your surgery went well this morning, and that you're resting now. I can't begin to imagine the pain you must be in. I wish I could do something to make it go away! I also wish I lived closer so I could help you out after you get home!
The one thing I know I can do, though, is to pray you have a speedy and complete recovery, so that's what I'm doing!
Hugs!
Jenn

matt said...

sorry to hear about the ankle. a friend recently fell on ice here and spiral fractured his tibia, plus a few fractures in his fibula. likely not running until end of the summer, if not later, in his case.
keep us posted on the recovery process, alright?