Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm home!!

Yesterday morning I was still really nauseous so they delayed my surgery until 11:00. Which sucked because I really wanted some water! The nausea medication they were giving me didn't seem to work so they gave me some Reglan intraveneously. I immediately couldn't breath. What a scary feeling. Mike called the nurses and they hooked up oxygen. As quickly as it came on it left. It took about 10 minutes to get my breathing back to normal but I was okay after that. Come to find out breathing problems is one of the rare but significant side effects. Needless to say I won't be having that again!

The surgery went well. I have several screws and a plate in my foot. The bad news is that the doctor says I have the bones of a 70 year old. I was diagnosed with osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, about 3 years ago. Guess the Boniva and calcium supplements aren't working. I need to go in and have another bone density test done soon and see what else I can do. Obviously I have full blown osteoporosis now. It does run in my mother's side of the family so I'm not surprised. I was just hoping the early intervention would prevent it from going that far.

I'm home now and doing okay. The meds are working and I am taking it easy. Chelsea is on her way to Colorado for a Christian youth gathering at Estes Park and Mike is at work. I can't wait to take a shower later today, when he gets home. Well, I am just going to watch a DVD and relax for now.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I am so glad things went well. Is the reason the ankle broke because your bones are so thin? That is scary!!!Might it also be affecting your neck? Can any of this be reversed?