Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stuff

I was just looking at previous posts and see that I didn't say anything about poor Scruffy, our dog. He was paralyzed last August due to a herniated disk. Fortunately the great people at North Ogden Animal Hospital were able to restore the feeling and he was walking again in 2 days! Last week he started showing some of the same symptoms: moved slowly, wouldn't jump up on the couch, cried when Mike tried to brush him, etc. When I came home on Wed. Mike said he took Scruffy for a walk and he didn't seem like himself. When I first saw him he was shaking like a leaf. I call the vet right away but was sure I would have to wait until the next day because it was after 5. They not only answered but told me to bring him in right away. They again diagnosed a herniated disk but this time it wasn't as bad because we caught it early enough. He's doing much better with his meds. While there I mentioned he's gained a lot of weight and has been lethargic. They did some blood work and found that he has an under active thyroid, so now he's going to be on thyroid medicine for the rest of his life. The extra weight probably is a big reason for his back problems so hopefully once we get some of this weight off he won't have so many problems.

Last week I got a call from a woman I worked with at the Homeless Veterans Fellowship who asked me to be part of a relay team for the Ogden Marathon in May. I'll only run about 5 miles out of the 26.2 mile race, but it should be fun and gives me a goal to work towards. Now I just need my arm to heal so I can start running again.

On Thursday and Friday I am going to the U to the practicum fair. I need to decide where I'd like to do my internship next year. I don't actually get to make the choice but I get to list some options.

I still have loads of homework to do so I should probably get on it!

3 comments:

lafuller said...

I'm running the 1/2 this year so I'll see ya there!

Carol said...

Aw, poor Scruffy . . . I hope he gets better quickly. Give him a pet from me. Also, we'll see you at the race. Kim & Eric will be there too.

salgal said...

Glad that you and scruffy are feeling better! Good luck with the run. Chris has done that one before and really enjoyed it.