Monday, January 19, 2009

I am so excited!

I have never been so excited about a new President! I don't know if I am just so tired of what has happened in the last several years or if I am so excited that this President has helped me to believe that my own daughter, who is 1/2 white, 1/4 black and 1/4 Mexican, can really be whatever she wants to be.

Living in the predominantly white, LDS state that we live in I have often wondered if I may have failed her as her only parent. Living in Utah as a Lutheran and non-white teenager isn't a piece of cake. But every day I see her happy, with many friends of all persuasions. We frequently have 3-10 teenagers over for movies, parties, and fun. She loves high school, except for the math portion! She is busy every weekend. She is very strong in her faith and feels no pressure to change her religion.

Maybe the world really is changing. Just maybe.

I don't believe we have really come to the point where the Reverend, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream has come true. Not all people are judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. I do not believe that all of God's children can join hands and sing: Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

But I do believe that day will come. Probably not in my lifetime, but I hope in my child's lifetime.

Until then, I promise to remain active in the fight for equality for all, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, gender, or sexual orientation.

No comments: