Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Update

Last Sunday I went to my church and then went to another church that Chelsea and I had talked about going to for awhile. My church doesn't provide any sort of programs for high school kids and this has been an issue for several years, since our youth pastor died.

The new church is called The Genisis Project. It is so completely different from our traditional Lutheran church. It is in a big warehouse that has been converted to meet the needs of the church. When I first walked in I noticed that it was pretty dark and there was loud, contemporary Christian music playing. I'm a big fan of contemporary Christian so I liked that. Chelsea and her friend took me to another part of the building to get drinks and a snack. Now in my church that's brewed coffee and whatever treats someone decided to bring to church. Not at GP! They have a full up coffee shop with lattes, steamers, hot chocolate and baked goods. Of course, you have to pay for it, whereas at my church what we have is free, albiet not so enticing (unless someone bakes something and brings it in, then it's great!). I got a latte which I didn't really care for. It had too much espresso and not enough steamed milk, but I didn't get a chance to drink much of it anyway because most of the service we were standing and singing. Yes, you take your food and drink to church!

The church is set up theater style with chairs in a semi-circle facing the front which has a big screen and a band. We sang several songs, then we had communion which consisted of teeny crackers cut into squares and some juice. Now I was not impressed with communion. In my church communion is the highlight of the service and we have a liturgy just for communion. I'd say it is a very big deal in my church and at GP it seemed almost like an afterthought. The sermon was really good but long, about 35 minutes. Then there was a couple of videos, one with announcements and one about a pregnancy care center. Then more songs and it was done. I really liked the music, which is a big complaint at my church. We have way more old hymns than we have contemporary music. Now this makes the older people happy, but there are few younger families at my church and I fear it will die out because they don't cater to young people or their families.

I do think I may move to another church sometime because it just isn't as meaningful to me as it used to be. Funny how it was more contemporary when I first started attending in 1994 than it is now. I don't think GP is the church for me but I told Chelsea that she's old enough to decide on her own where she wants to go. She's the only kid I know who is taking on-line classes during the summer so she can take Bible study in High School next year. (Not offered by the school, but as an alternative to LDS Seminary, it's offered by the Wasatch Evangelical Free Church).

Okay enough about that! Our basement is coming along fine. Chelsea is going to be one happy girl when it gets finished! Our bank account is another story. After buying the truck and getting this done we will have to go on a spending moratorium for a while!

I have to have surgery on my right elbow again and the doctor's office called and said they have an opening this Friday. So I took it. I was going to wait until spring break but it does bother me a lot, especially when sleeping, so I'm just going to get 'er done! I have cubital tunnel, which is like carpal tunnel of the elbow. My funny bone nerve is alway stimulated which, as you can imagine, is very irritating. The only way to relieve it is to hold my arm perfectly straight, which is difficult while sleeping. The first surgery was done by an orthopedic surgeon. This time it's being done by a plastic surgeon who specializes in hands and arms. When I go in for my pre-op today I'll ask if I can get a complementary face lift while I'm there! :)

Well, since my hand isn't going to be of much use to me soon I guess I'd better get to writing my papers now!

1 comment:

salgal said...

Hope all went well today in surgery!